Wednesday, September 14, 2011
"All Powerful" GPA
I agree with the New York Times article "These Low Grades in College May Haunt Your Job Search," in that one's G.P.A. is not always an accurate picture on how good of a student you are. I think employers put too much emphasis on this single attribute, and ignore many other qualifications a student may have. From personal experience, I know just how inaccurate a low G.P.A. can be. In high school, because I played sports and took mostly advanced courses, my G.P.A. never went above the 3.2 mark, and mostly hovered around 3.0, portraying me as an average student. Now that I am in college, and not playing sports anymore, I have put my free time to good use and my G.P.A. is higher now than it ever was during my high school career. While a student's grades are important when browsing resumes, I think employers should take more time and focus on the things a student chooses to do outside of the classroom.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I totally agree. I'm not sure why G.P.A has gotten this "all powerful" title, but I feel as though it is the most misleading piece of information on a resume. I also feel that what's done outside the classroom is just as important, if not more important.
ReplyDeleteI also agree. Although I think GPA is pretty important, there's a lot more to a qualified applicant than a good GPA. one good point you brought up is that you didn't have as much time in high school to focus on grades. this is important because someone with a great GPA might not do anything else but school work which if they're not involved in anything, I think that's worse than being involved in stuff but having a little lower GPA.
ReplyDelete