Thursday, September 15, 2011
Labeling Personality
The concept of putting people through tests and being able to gauge the aspects of their personality sounds like a good idea, but the results will always be fundamentally flawed. While the results may be somewhat accurate, people are impossible to be fully understood by a simple test. As hinted to in "Personality Plus" tests can't be 100% accurate of a person's personality, because people change throughout their lives. People are too complicated and can change throughout the course of their lives, so making them take a test now to determine their personality and traits can offer you short term information, but the information can't be totally accurate, and is not necessarily going to be true a few years down the road. Personality tests are also fundamentally flawed in that most tests' questions are leading, so if a potential employee knows an employer is looking for, they can answer questions in a way that they create the desired results. While some people may put stock into personality tests, I don't believe that they should have too much emphasis put on them throughout the course of selecting a new employee.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree with everything you've said and I believe that personality tests are a bad gauge of prospective employees. Just that the fact that the test can be cheated should mean that employers should not use it. If people can just give false information then why even bother asking about asking about it. All in all I like what you are saying and I believe you make all the correct assessments about using a personality test to determine the hiring of employees and how the tests function in general.
ReplyDeleteI agree with what you said. If companies are putting any stock into the results of these personality tests, than a person should not be able to cheat on them. Isn't that the basis of what a job interview is for in the first place, to get a gauge for the person's personality.
ReplyDeleteI completely agree with all of what you said. I think that the use of personality tests in employment is a terrible idea. Like you mentioned people are going to answer the questions in a way that they feel will get them the job, which completely defeats the purpose of the test. employers should find other methods in place of these tests for hiring, I think an interview can gauge a persons personality much better.
ReplyDelete