Thursday, November 3, 2011
Hierarchy of Needs
I can see how Maslow’s hierarchy of needs makes sense at first glance, and it has its merits, but after studying it for a while it becomes apparent that it has its flaws. The example in class explained this perfectly, physiological needs are listed as most important, but in reality almost all people would never think of selling their own children for food. The needs are listed in a logical order, but clearly certain things outrank things in the physiological and safety groups. The self actualization group is a very interesting thought. While it says that you must strive to be the best that you can be in order to meet growth needs, I also think there are clear examples of people who did not live up to their potential but live happy lives. So while the theory has its merits, it also has its flaws.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think Maslow’s hierarchy of needs has it applications in society today but it’s becoming more obsolete. It just a simple model that such be used to explain basic motivation. I do not think that it is the best model for explaining motivation.
ReplyDelete