Wednesday, November 30, 2011

In Class Project

After learning more about the point of the project, I have definitely come to see its worth. Although I was on the National Managers Benevolent League, I can clearly see how others in MRC were manipulated to show how power works. Learning that the small things, like writing names bigger, or omitting first names, are enough to create a false sense of power. Not allowing the lower group to interact with the top group was also a good tactic to assign power to the higher ups, and the structure of MRC as a whole was successful at showing how status creates power. Although the lowest group did the work and had higher numbers of people, because they were told they were the lowest group simply put them in the mindset that the weren't as important as the student assigned to the top group. As a member of the NMBL, we came to realize we held a great deal of power because we had the largest quantity of Goat Bucks. Although we couldn't use them, we knew since we had these that we could use it to our advantage to buy slogans for as low a price as possible. After being utterly confused as to why we were doing this experiment, it was good to finally learn what the point actually was. I also think after gaining all of the information that it was a very successful and entertaining way to learn about how power is distributed within a company.

1 comment:

  1. I also now see how valuable this exercise actually was. At first, I thought it was pretty pointless since no one seemed to know what was going on. Now that we have discussed the activity, the goal of it became very clear. I think that most of the power in this activity was held by the NMBL, and the lowest group. The NMBL had the power because they had the money and the authority to purchase the slogans, and the low group also had power because they were the ones that made the slogans that the top group relied on to make money. Since I was a member of the bottom group, I wish I would have realized how much power my group actually had. If we would have realized it, I think we could have really turned the tables of the activity and make the top group feel like the bottom group.

    ReplyDelete