Thursday, November 10, 2011

Leadership Philosophies

I was really interested in the three leadership archetypes discussed in class today. While I would have to say I think the Platonic method is the best, I also realize it is pretty  much impossible to  implement. I don't think it can happen due to the inherent selfishness of people, so it would be impossible to find a group of people willing to give everything up in order to work and think for the good of the group as a whole. It sounds like a great idea, but it would never work if attempted. So I guess in terms of actual possibilities, I think the Lincolnian method is the best way to lead. This method puts the people who gave you your power as your main responsibility, and you are nothing more than an agent. I agree with this, because it will help to produce a progress driven leader, one whom would put all self interests aside, and work to create the best outcomes for the job he has. You can have personal interests, but they should never sway your decision making if they don't fall in line with your work goals. While this may seem cold and distant, in terms of the business world I think this is the best way to govern your actions and make the best decisions possible.

5 comments:

  1. I believe that the best method of managerial ethics to execute may be relative. You may say that plutonic ethics is the best, however when you are trying to get the most benefit out of something for your own interest then it changes. The plutonic method may not give you the amount of return on your interests as the Machiavellian approach may. Because you are spreading your resources out more thinly you have less to focus on for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also thought that this was the best method as well. He was interested in helping the people below him but was being held back because of the Union. This method is closely related to the goal of a firm today. If Lincoln was a CEO he would aim his attention to the shareholders. The main goal of a firm is to earn revenue for the owners which are the shareholders.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is the best method also. If you didn't make your decisions with regard to the people who put you into your position, you wouldn't stay in power very long. I also think that because they put you in power, there is almost a debt to be paid to them in the form of service that best benefits them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also agree that this is the best method. For a CEO, I feel that if they follow Lincoln's leadership style, and make decisions based on the best interests of the shareholders, he or she will have a very lucrative career. Also, I feel that if a CEO can successfully represent the interest of the shareholders, then he or she will also fulfill their own personal interests.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tend to agree that Lincoln's style of ethics may be the best since it does show an understanding of what the people who put you in charge want. It also may help that what those people want may be aligned with the desires of stakeholders. Since Plato's form of ethics only seem to be completely effective in an ideal situation, it seems that Lincoln's ethics may ultimately please the most people for the best affect.

    ReplyDelete