Thursday, November 3, 2011
Motivation Video
The video we watched about the employee complaints was very entertaining and showed a good point. While the manager did technically solve the problem, the video clearly showed how this was a terrible method of dealing with issues. While the video was meant to be entertaining, it also clearly showed that simply eliminating complaints doesn’t make happy employees. You must actually deal with valid complaints in order to keep a happy and motivated workplace. The employees in the video were influenced by fear of losing their jobs, which just creates worried and stressed workers, and will still end up hurting in the long run.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree that proper motivation is important to employee motivations. It keeps them going in hard times and can even be the thing to pull the business through in hard economic times such as now. In my opinion I think the most important aspect and focus of the business should be its employees. I really think any other focus should come second to the business. Without properly motivated employees your business won't run on full capacity. Its like filling a gasoline engine up with diesel fuel, it just won't work.
ReplyDeleteI liked that video and thought it was very appropriate to watch because I thought it brought up a very good point. Even though the manager did get the employees to stop complaining, it wasn't a very proper method to actually fix the issues. I think some people really would find that method useful, and I think sometimes it's good to tell yourself that things could be worse in order to help keep a good perspective on life, but as a manager of a company, it obviously is not going to benefit your business to treat your employees like that. If we went to our professors for help and they told us, "Oh, it could be worse, at least you have a C" ...They wouldn't be doing their job very well. I thought the video was amusing though, and I thought it was a good reminder of a simple method to stay away from.
ReplyDeleteI thought that video was very entertaining as well. I also think the video was a good example of how self-centered upper management can be in the business world. The executive knew his employees were suffering, but he did nothing to better their work life. He could have easily replaced their headsets which would have resolved 90% of the complaints he was faced with. Instead, he decided to evade this additional cost by telling them that "it could be worse," and threatening them with the loss of their jobs. This strategy was effective in the sense that it saved him money, which would result in the company being more profitable, which makes him look better while making him more money. I feel that tactics such as these have become more popular in the past few years as the economy has worsened.
ReplyDelete