Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Walmart's Dress-Code

It was interesting in the If Preppies Took Over Wal-Mart and today's class discussion to learn that something as simple as a uniform can have such a profound impact. I never thought too much of what exactly a uniform represents, or what message or values it can portray to a customer or employee. While some jobs require a standardized uniform for safety reasons, in the other occupations a uniform has a much larger meaning. While it provides a sense of camaraderie amongst workers, a uniform also helps to represent a business, or create an image to consumers. While some may argue that they're simply clothes and have a minimal impact, a classy or unique uniform can help to set a business apart, or help to build a loyal customer base.

4 comments:

  1. Before our discussion on this topic I never really thought about employee uniforms that much. It is interesting to see all of the implicit meanings that work attire may carry with it. I think however, work uniforms will probably have a different meaning from one worker to the next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think employees do care about their uniforms. But I do not think they look into the meanings of their uniforms as much as we did in Mondays class. I think what really matters is if they are comfortable in their work uniforms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that it's interesting what a profound impact a uniform can have on employees, I don't necessarily agree that the change will always be that significant. At a past job, we went through a uniform change from khakis and polos to khakis and a trendier looking, form-fitting shirt. While I will say that as an employee, I loved the change because I thought we looked more updated, and we had the option of voting on which new uniform design we liked the most, I don't think that it shaped the company's image or brought us closer to the company's core values. At most, we looked more up-to-date and maybe a few of the employees felt that the company cared about their opinions. I think that the Walmart uniform change is more drastic, though, and that their uniform simply advertised more of their core values.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the previous comment in that employees do care about their uniforms, but do not really think about what those uniforms mean. From my personal experience, I always liked the uniform I had to wear for my job back home. While I did like this uniform, I never really thought about why my employer selected the uniforms they did. My employer chose black and white for my uniform colors, and I never really thought of why they chose those colors. They chose black and white, and after our discussion in class, I pit a lot more thought into why they chose those colors. I'm still not sure why they chose those colors, but it is interesting to try and figure out their intentions.

    ReplyDelete